Sunday 4 February 2007

Day Four

Woke up at 11:30 this morning - Oops!!!
But hey, at least I'm sampling all sides of Florentine life, even if it is with the xpats. Could only face McDonald's for breakfast this morning - awful I know. Off to Santa Croce now, for an amble in the streets and a visit to the basilica.

------------

Sat in the middle of the piazza watching a puppet show. The sun is getting warmer and despite the puppets being hideous and quite scary, the puppeteers are really good and there's an amazing atmosphere here this morning.










------------

Moved on over the bridge, stopping to see the views and to watch what "looks" like an otter make its way across the water.
I have been told what it actually was... a water rat - Nutrie.














------------

Now, this is the Florence I was expecting. I spent a while wandering the streets and ended up at the botanical gardens. I realised this morning that what makes Florence such an easy city to walk, is the fact that it's very flat. The other side of the Arno is much less so, but it's so much more beautiful. I found a spot under a tree, settled down and got out my camera, I had the perfect opportunity to test the macro function.
















------------

Reminded that it was still only February, I got cold and decided to head back to the hotel for a hot shower. Walked back slowly trying to catch the sunset over the river. Looking for a place for a quick snack on the way. Wahey, I got it half right this time and was surrounded by Italians (at tourist prices - 10euros for a sandwich and a cup of coffee).

------------

My back is really starting to ache now and it's rapidly denting my enjoyment of this day, though I'm doing my very best to ignore it. It would have been ok if I had left tonight actually. I'm too tiered and in pain to do much more walking/visiting. Unless I feel like visiting the small market again tomorrow, I think I'll take it easy and head onto Pisa sometime around lunch. It's a bit of a shame I'm not venturing out tonight but I have to listen to pain and lie down.

------------

Went back to ZaZa's in the end. Still delicious and so cheap but that was about all i was capable of tonight.
Didn't sleep too well either which didn't help matters - dreams of things past that left me feeling sad and alone.

No comments: