Thursday 1 February 2007

My first trip solo

Ok, so had this overwhelming urge to run away for a couple of days and turns out Ryanair had a slight glitch on their website and were selling their tickets without the tax. So i booked myself a trip to Florence. While I was there I kept a travel log and someone suggested i write it up here, so here it is.... (almost unmodified to keep the tone!)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It all starts here!
J dropped me off at the Charleroi airport; bag checked in and I'm sitting at the gate (if you can even call it that) All good!
I'm already surrounded by Italian speak and I don't understand a sodding word - Promising!! But I'm already getting a glimpse if the "freedom" they talk about when travelling alone. It's kinda nice. The flashing board in front of me is wishing me a nice trip - How nice!

------------

OK, I definitely wasn't expecting to have to be brave not even one hour after taking off! Suddenly dawned on me that I'm alone and going in the opposite direction from home. I know I'm going to enjoy myself and whatever happens, it will be a trip I remember, but right now at this precise point in time, sitting in 9a, I'm thinking "What the hell was I thinking?" I was just fine at home, adjusting to my new routine, why rock the boat?
Destructive writing, not useful, I think I'll stop now.

------------

I'm now on the train bound to Firenze station. I confirmed the room, they are expecting me (it's getting late). Things are looking up and I'm getting excited.
I'm always amazed at how my mood can change soo drastically and so fast. Thank god in this case, because if I was still feeling like I was on the plane, this would have been getting harder to deal with by the minute.
(Note to self: don't forget to send J a postcard!)

------------

Later in my room
I'm staying in the Aurora Hotel and it turns out my room really ain't half bad. A bit dated and in serious need of a repaint and new soft furnishings but a apart from that it's actually ok - and the floor is amazing.







------------

I guess I should make a plan of what I want to do tomorrow. Breakfast before 10 is about all I have planned at this point. No definite plan yet, but i think I'll walk around town with a visit to the "Offices" on Friday as It should be quieter than the weekend.

No comments: